Our parents and grandparents never had dandruff problems, then why is it that this generation suffers dandruff? Have you ever thought about it, before looking on the internet for dandruff treatments? In those days, people used to apply oil, clean and comb hair, wash hair with natural powders like shikakai and herbal pastes. They ate healthy, unlike this generation which lacks nutritional foods, avoiding oiling hair, using chemicals on hair, washing hair with concentrated shampoos, adding unnecessary hair products on hair, all of these adds to dandruff. There are many options in the market for treating dandruff, such as anti-dandruff shampoos, medicated lotions, home remedies, adding vitamins to your diet and of course anti-dandruff treatment at hair clinics. Nubello Aesthetics is one of the top hair clinics in Mumbai offering the best anti-dandruff treatment in Mumbai. However, few in online forums and grandma therapies suggest lemon for dandruff treatment.
What Causes Dandruff?
Dandruff is a common condition, not harmful for health but is embarrassing and difficult to get rid off. There are many reasons which cause dandruff, one such major cause is the presence of Malassezia – a yeast-like fungus. This fungus feeds on oil from the scalp. Presence of this yeast doesn’t bother much however causes dry scalp and irritation. This results in skin flakes and scalp diseases. The result is dandruff and other dry skin disorders. Other causes of dandruff are:
- Skin sensitivity to hair products, leading to allergies and inflammations.
- Oily scalp, too much of sweat and dust accumulation.
- Not washing hair and scalp thoroughly.
- Not oiling hair and scalp, keeping the scalp dry.
- Excessive usage of chemicals on hair and scalp.
Certain other factors make dandruff susceptible and they are:
- Age: Dandruff usually starts at a young age and might continue life long. Getting dandruff at old age is very rare.
- Gender: Men are more prone to dandruff than women. Research and thesis suggest hormones play an important role in causing dandruff in male.
- Scalp conditions: Certain scalp conditions like psoriasis, eczema, Parkinson’s disease, seborrheic dermatitis and others increase dandruff.
Lemon for Dandruff Treatment
Lemon juice has certain properties which worked wonders for many when it came to treating dandruff with lemon, however, there is no scientific proof behind it. In-home remedies, lemons have been practically used and many have felt the change.
Properties of Lemon
Citric fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamin C, similarly, lemons contain citric acid are rich in antioxidants, boosts the immune system. When lemon applied on hair, adds vitamin C, citric acid, flavonoid, and iron. All of these nutrients are essential for hair growth. Lemons balance the pH of the scalp – keeping dandruff away and prevents irritations and inflammation on the skin. It also strengthens hair follicles and eliminates excess scalp oil. Lemons improve collagen production, which helps in skin cell regrowth.
How to use lemons for dandruff treatment?
Always check with your doctor before trying lemon juice or any other new product to your hair cleaning routine. Test on your hands to check for allergies and reactions before applying on the scalp.
- Pre-shampoo: Prepare lemon juice of 10 ml without adding water and directly apply on the scalp before shampooing. Leave for 15-20 minutes, let it penetrate the hair root. Afterwards, rinse with warm water and wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Repeat this every time you wash hair for results.
- With Shampoo or hair products: Dilute your shampoo with water, add lemon juice to it and wash your hair thoroughly with this solution. You can add lemon juice with conditioners and serums.
- Post-Shampoo: After washing your hair, dilute lemon juice with water and rinse your hair and scalp with this diluted solution. do not wash hair afterwards, leave the lemon solution in hair and let it dry.
Don’t use lemon solution when you experience itching, burning, redness, dryness or more dandruff.
Lemon juice has been praised and tried in many home remedies for dandruff treatment, and while this might have proven to be true for some cases, more research is required to confirm the effectiveness.
When to See a Doctor?
Dandruff doesn’t require doctor care, however, even after trying lemon for dandruff, home remedies to treat dandruff, using anti-dandruff shampoos, if dandruff condition is worsening, we advise you meet a good dermatologist. Nubello Aesthetics is one hair clinic in Mumbai offering the best anti-dandruff treatment in Navi Mumbai.
Call us now @ 09324507495 for FREE Consultation.