What is Trichotillomania?
Trichotillomania is also known as a hair-pulling disorder and is a mental disorder that involves patients continuously pulling out hair from their scalp, eyebrows or other areas of your body. Furthermore, the hair-pulling activity by the patient often leaves patchy bald spots. This causes significant distress to the patient along with interference in social or work functioning. People with trichotillomania might go to any extent to disguise the loss of hair. For some, trichotillomania may be mild and generally manageable. For others, the compulsive urge to pull hair is too much to control and becomes very severe. There are trichotillomania treatment options available and they have helped many people reduce their hair pulling madness.
Symptoms behind trichotillomania:
- Repeatedly pulling hair out from the scalp, eyebrows or eyelashes. In extreme cases from other body parts.
- Tension before pulling the hair and a sense of pleasure after pulling hair.
- Hair loss. Shortened hair or thin hair or bald spots on the scalp or other areas of your body.
- Biting, chewing or eating pulled-out hair.
- Playing with pulled-out hair or rubbing it across your lips or face.
- Distress or problems at work, school or in social situations related to pulling out your hair.
What causes trichotillomania?
The cause of trichotillomania is not very clear or scientifically proved. But like any complex mental disorder, trichotillomania results from a combination of genetic and environmental factors. This disorder requires immediate trichotillomania treatment.
- Genetics: Genetics plays an important role in the development of trichotillomania. A close relative may pass the genes.
- Age Factor. Trichotillomania usually develops during the early teens. Mostly between the age of 10 and 15 years. It might become a lifelong problem. Infants also can be prone to hair pulling, but this is usually mild and goes away on its own without treatment.
- Mental disorders. People who have trichotillomania may also have depression, anxiety or obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Mental disorder is resolved as part of the trichotillomania treatment.
- Stress. Severely stressful situations or events may trigger trichotillomania in some people.
Effects of trichotillomania on patient
- Emotional distress. Many people with trichotillomania feel shame, humiliation, and embarrassment. They experience low self-esteem, depression, and anxiety. Thus alcohol or drug is consumed.
- Problems in the social and working environment. Embarrassment due to hair loss leads to avoiding social gatherings and job opportunities. People with trichotillomania may wear wigs, style their hair to disguise bald patches or wear false eyelashes. Some people may avoid intimacy for fear that their condition will be discovered.
- Skin and hair damage. Constant hair pulling causes scarring and infections to the skin, scalp or the specific area where the hair is pulled. This pulling activity can cause a permanent effect on hair growth.
- Hairballs. Eating your hair may lead to a large, matted hairball (trichobezoar) in your digestive tract. Over a period of years, the hairball can cause weight loss, vomiting, intestinal obstruction, and even death.
This disorder requires immediate trichotillomania treatment.
Trichotillomania can be related to emotions:
- Negative emotions. For many people with trichotillomania, hair pulling is a way of dealing with negative or uncomfortable feelings, such as stress, anxiety, tension, boredom, loneliness, fatigue or frustration.
- Positive feelings. People with trichotillomania often find that pulling out hair feels satisfying and provides a measure of relief. As a result, they continue to pull their hair to maintain these positive feelings.
There are medications for trichotillomania treatment, but doctors prefer trichotillomania therapy along with proper medication for better results.
Medications used are fluoxetine (Prozac), fluvoxamine (Luvox), sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil), clomipramine (Anafranil), valproate (Depakote), lithium carbonate (Lithobid, Eskalith).
Nubello Aesthetics has been in the hair industry for the past 8 years. Nubello provides trichotillomania treatment in Mumbai and Navi Mumbai along with therapy and consultation.
Visit Nubello Aesthetics and get a free consultation today on trichotillomania therapy in Mumbai.