Overweight, Obesity has become a worldwide problem leading to various health issues. Everyone is looking for a weight loss diet plan. One such plan is Ketogenic Diet also known as Keto Diet.
The Keto diet helps in reducing weight and provides health benefits. The benefit of following the keto diet is it helps in fighting metabolic diseases such as type 2 diabetics. Here, this article provides all about the diet and how beneficial is a ketogenic diet for weight loss.
What is a Ketogenic Diet?
A ketogenic diet is all about a diet plan with foods high in fat, moderate in protein and extremely low in carbs. Before knowing more about Keto diet, let us understand the process behind the diet.
What Is Ketosis?
The “keto” diet is an extremely low- or no-carbohydrate diet that forces the body into a state of ketosis. Ketosis happens when individuals eat a low-or no-carb eating regimen and particles called ketones develop in their circulatory system. Low starch levels cause glucose levels to drop and the body starts separating fat to use as vitality.
As the diet progresses, the body becomes efficient in burning fat and producing ketones for fuel instead of carbs. Each day ketone levels increases. This diet also helps in lowering blood glucose levels.
The ketogenic diet includes high-fat foods like meat, fish, butter, eggs, cheese, heavy cream, oils, nuts, avocados, seeds, and low-carb vegetables. And all the carbohydrates are eliminated like grains, rice, milk, fruits, and even some higher-carb vegetables.
Keto Diet for Weight Loss
A ketogenic diet is a high saturated fat, moderate protein, and low-carb diet plan. It primarily works by lowering insulin levels, producing ketones and increasing fat burning process. It is evident based that keto diet is very effective in weight loss. This Diet helps in losing fat, increase feelings of fullness, and preserve muscle mass.
How to Follow a Keto Diet
This diet can be followed by all except these cases:
- When you are on insulin and medication for diabetes.
- If you are taking BP medicines.
- While you are breastfeeding.
Follow the below basic rules for Keto Diet
- Eliminate carbs: Eat less than 30 gms of carbs per days.
- Stock up on staples: Buy meat, cheese, whole eggs, nuts, oils – olive oil, avocados, oily fish and cream, as these are now staples in your diet.
- Eat your veggies: low-carb vegetables
- Build a plan: It can be hard to find low-carb meals for when you’re on the go. As with any diet, it is important to have a plan and go-to snacks or meals.
- Track progress: Take photos, measurements and monitor your weight every 3 to 4 weeks. If progress stops, try reducing portion sizes slightly.
- Replace minerals: Ketosis changes your fluid and mineral balance. For this reason, salt your food and maybe take electrolytes or magnesium.
- Be consistent: There is no shortcut to success. With any diet, consistency is the most important factor.
You may also wish to monitor ketone levels in either urine or blood since these let you know whether you are keeping carb levels down sufficiently to achieve ketosis.
Keto Diet process for weight reduction:
- Increase in protein food intake.
- Carb Food elimination and reduce calorie intake.
- Gluconeogenesis: Body protein and fats are converted into carbs for energy.
Foods to be consumed –
Avoid eating too many carbs. Keep carb intake under 50 grams per day of net carbs, ideally below 20 grams of carb. The fewer carbs, the more effective it appears to be for reaching ketosis, losing weight or reversing type 2 diabetes.
Things to avoid –
High carbs food should be avoided in a keto diet – carb foods containing a lot of sugar and starch. This includes starchy foods like bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. Avoid sugary foods completely.
What to drink?
Water is the perfect drink, and coffee or tea is fine too. No sweeteners in the drinks. A small amount of milk or cream in your coffee or tea is OK.
Health Benefits of the Keto Diet:
- Ketogenic diets are extremely effective for lowering blood sugar levels, especially for people with type 2 diabetes or prediabetes.
- This diet can reduce chronic inflammation by fatty acids, which is linked to metabolic syndrome.
- Brings in healthy fats and reduce blood pressure.
- Appetite suppressant: Ketogenic diets help in positive changes in hunger hormones, including leptin and ghrelin.
- Insulin Resistance
- Decreased fat storage
- Increased fat burning
Side Effects of Keto Diet
- Frequent Urination
- Weakness – Drowsiness and Dizziness
- Low Blood Sugar
- Sugar Cravings
- Flu-like symptoms
- Sleep issues
- Smelly Breath
Avoiding Ketosis Side Effects
If you noticed the common theme in most of these side effects with the ketogenic diet, it involves the transition in and out of ketosis. This is one of the main reasons we have made Perfect Keto Base — to eliminate any of the possible side effects as possible and ease the transition into ketosis.
Additionally, as you probably noticed, most of the common ketosis side effects can be helped or eliminated by:
drinking more water, increasing your salt intake and making sure you’re eating enough fat.
If you do still struggle with symptoms, the last resort would be to slightly increase the number of carbs you’re eating to alleviate symptoms. The downside to this is that it will make your low-carb diet effective less quickly, but sometimes that’s necessary to continue it over the long-term.
In keto diet, your meal plan must include high-fat foods, increase protein intake and limit your carb intake to fewer than 30–50 grams per day. If you stick with it, the benefits of a ketogenic diet are effective in losing weight reducing metabolic disease risk factors, fight diseases like type 2 diabetes and obesity.
Overall, just do your best to continue following the keto guidelines while also listening to your body. You’ll be a low-carb fat-burning machine in no time!
Get personalized and exact keto weight loss diet plan for your body at Nubello Aesthetic.