An iron deficiency which is known as anaemia is a condition when a person does not have enough iron in their body. There are 2 cases, one is body doesn’t get enough iron, another is body cannot absorb iron. In case the person has shortness of breath, fatigue, lack of energy, chest pain, and hair loss then these are some of the symptoms of anaemia. Hair loss can be due to genetics, malnutrition, chemical effects, medications or other health issues like thyroid, lupus and others. Iron deficiency is a reason for hair loss, but not the only reason, there are other factors for hair loss. This article connects iron deficiency to hair loss and discusses anaemia and hair loss treatments.
Iron deficiency and hair loss
Iron plays an important role in making haemoglobin, a compound that carries oxygen to cells, which is essential for the body to function. And hair loss is not a typical symptom of an iron deficiency but some people experience hair loss. If a person suspects their iron levels may be low, they should visit a doctor who can perform blood tests to determine if they are anaemic.
Iron is an essential component in an enzyme called ribonucleotide reductase that helps cell growth. In the case of iron deficiency, the hair follicles may not grow new hair cells. Research does not prove that iron deficiency definitely causes hair fall, but low iron levels may affect hair growth.
When a person has more than 100 hair strands falling in a day, and this continues for years, then there are chances that the person may develop pattern baldness. In women, it is called female pattern baldness and in men, it is called male pattern baldness. These are the extreme cases of hair loss. In case you find In case you have hair loss and don’t know where to go, then Visit Nubello Aesthetic and get a free consultation today on hair loss treatment.
Hair loss treatments
- Minoxidil: This medication is available as a topical solution. This medication allows hair to stay in the growth phase for longer. One of the common and basic solutions in hair loss treatments.
- 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors: Medications such as finasteride (Proscar) are 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors. These drugs help increase the levels of enzymes that promote hair growth.
- Surgical techniques: If medical treatments do not work, surgery, such as hair transplantations like FUE hair transplant and direct hair transplant treatment can help restore a person’s hair. Hair transplants are definitely a solution to balding and one of the main aspects of hair loss treatments.
Doctors are regularly searching for new hair restoration techniques. One such technique is PRP (Platelet-rich-plasma). This is one of the new and trending solutions to hair fall. Learn more about PRP hair treatment.
Iron Loss treatments
- Iron supplements: Talk to your doctor before taking iron supplements. Based on doctor advice, the person may have to take iron supplements for 3-6 months for iron levels to be normal.
- Iron injections: People suffering anaemic from a very long time, and those who can not absorb iron properly can benefit from iron injections. This raises iron levels faster.
- Dietary changes: Including iron-rich foods in your diet will increase iron levels. Red meat, chicken, green leafy vegetables, legumes and fish are good sources of iron.
Hair loss can be due to many reasons. Iron deficiency is not the only reason. To know what causes hair loss, consult a dermatologist. Nubello Aesthetics is one of the top hair clinics in Mumbai provides the best hair loss treatments in Mumbai.