Detox Diets are growing popularity more than ever with younger generation. Detox diets are aimed to cleanse blood and remove harmful toxin. This article focuses on these questions:
- What is a detox diet?
- What is the simplest detox diet plan one can follow?
- Is ‘detox diet’ a real or made up concept?
What is a Detox Diet?
Detox in general means removal of toxin, hence detox diet is a 3 day or 7 day diet plan prepared for blood purification and toxin removal from the body. The detox diet consists of foods including – fruits, vegetables, fruit juices, teas, herbs and water along with 2 days fasting.
Aim of the Detox Diet:
- By Fasting, resting your organs.
- Liver stimulation to get rid of Toxins via urine, feces and sweat from your digestive system.
- Improve blood circulation in the body.
- With healthy diet, this provides healthy nutrients to your body.
- Helps to lose weight.
In the current environment state where there is high exposure to toxic chemicals via air pollution, eating disorders, junk foods, impure water, detox diet therapies are very much recommended. The detox diet also helps in solving various health problems like obesity, digestion problems, inflammation, and allergies.
What is the simplest detox diet plan one can follow?
While there are many detox diet plan from 3 days to 7 days – including complete fasting to simple modifications in your daily diet. Detox diets vary in intensity and duration but are mostly short term. Listing below are some of the tips which are followed by most of the detox diet plans.
- 1–3 days Fasting.
- Drinking fresh fruit juices, vegetable juices along with home made smoothies
- Lots of water consumption
- Drinking lemon juices and herbal teas.
- Elimination junk foods, processed foods and refined sugars.
- Taking supplements or herbs.
- Avoiding all allergenic foods, then slowly reintroducing them.
- Using colon cleanses.
- Regular exercise
- Avoiding alcohol, coffee, and cigarettes.
The detox diet may vary in intensity and duration. Listing below the general and ideal detox diet meal, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Follow this diet plan for 3 days and check. You can also follow this for 7 days.
Ideal Diet foods for Breakfast:
As you wake up, start you day with drinking morning detox water in between 6-7am, either one of them.
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds + 1 tablespoon lime juice + 1 cup water
- Warm water with juice of ½ a lime.
The breakfast is the most important meal of the day. These are some of the best and healthy foods to have in the morning at 8am:
- Oat Meal – vegetable oats
- Greek Yogurt
- Wheat Germ
- Flax Seed
Tips: You can make detox smoothie for breakfast:
- 1 banana + 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds + 1 tablespoon organic honey
In between 10-11:
- You can have fruits like oranges, strawberries along with nuts like almonds.
- 1 bowl of fruits.
- Fresh fruit juices without sugar.
Ideal Diet foods for Lunch:
Around 12:30 pm, you can opt for any 1 of these options as part of meal in lunch:
- 1 cup brown rice with sauteed vegetables – green beans, carrots, garlic, and onion in olive oil.
- Chicken salad with cherry tomatoes, avocado, yellow bell pepper, boiled black eyed peas, and cilantro. Use yogurt and olive oil as dressing
- Just Vegan salad and No Dressing.
- Fresh sprout salad
The items listed below are the best high calorie contented foods that can be consumed at lunch that aids in weight loss:
- Grass Fed Beef – Four strips of this grass-fed beef itself contains 133 calories and 16 grams of protein.
- Pork – Four strips of pork contains 124 calories and 24 grams of protein.
- Sun-dried tomatoes – One cup of sun-dried tomatoes contains 139 calories and 6 grams of protein.
Post Lunch Snacks at around 3-4 pm, you can choose any one.
- 1 cup buttermilk with roasted and ground cumin seeds + ½ cup cucumber slices.
- 1 cup Oolong tea or green tea
- Baked carrots
- 1 cup of watermelon
- ½ cup yogurt + 4 strawberries
- 1 cup orange juice with a pinch of black salt
Ideal Diet foods to be consumed for Dinner:
The food items listed below are the most commonly found calcium-rich foods that can be consumed for dinner:
- Chinese Cabbage
- Lady’s Finger
- Whole Wheat Bread
Try to have your dinner by 7:30 pm. You can have any one of these. Nothing to be consumed post 8pm apart from water.
- Tomato soup + 2 whole wheat bread.
- ½ cup Kidney bean chili + 1 cup buttermilk.
- Chicken stew with lots of vegetables.
- Baked potato (with skin) with a dash of olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Baked fish topped with mustard sauce, olive oil, chopped tomatoes, lime juice, and dried rosemary
- Mushroom clear soup + 2 whole wheat bread.
- Broccoli, sweet potato, and green peas.
- Pumpkin lentil soup + 2 whole wheat bread.
- Grilled fish with a dash of lime and olive oil.
General diet tips to be followed during detox diet plan
While following the meals. keep these pointers in mind. These will help you get the most of the 3-day detox plan and 7-day detox plan.
- Drink warm water as the first thing in the morning after you wake up. You can add lemon juice to it along with honey.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water apart from drinking fruit juices.
- Consume more of high fiber food in your diet like wheat bread, and oats.
- Eat fresh fruits and green veges 3 times a day.
- Daily exercise is a must. This can be in the form of jogging, brisk walking, or aerobics.
- Sleep is important, so make sure you get about 8 hours of sleep every night. If possible, take a short nap of 30 minutes in the afternoon.
- While on the detox diet, consume fresh fruits, veggies, yogurt, grains, lean meat, and fish.
Foods to avoid while following detox diet plan
- Red meat.
- Fast foods and Fried Food.
- Cream, butter, mayonnaise and cheese.
- Salted nuts and snacks.
- Chocolates and sugar.
- Processed and refined foods.
- Frozen foods.
Is ‘detox diet’ a real or made up concept?
Detox Diet is very real. Some people report feeling more focused and energetic during and after detox diets. However, this improved well-being may simply be due to eliminating processed foods, alcohol, and other unhealthy substances from your diet. You may also be getting vitamins and minerals that were lacking before.
That said, many people also report feeling very unwell during the detox period, so detox might also have certain side effects. An ideal diet plan should be planned out with the help of a healthcare professional or a nutritionist according to the BMI value.