Hair growth is natural in men, but if women have excessive hair on parts where hair normally doesn’t grow for females then this condition is called – Hirsutism. This can be due to many reasons and if you are bothered by this unwanted hair then you have come to the right place. Follow the article and get tips on how to remove unwanted hair. Learn all about –
- What causes unwanted hairs in women?
- How to remove unwanted hairs.
- How to treat Hirsutism?
What is Hirsutism?
Hirsutism is a condition of unwanted hair growth in women. This condition results in excessive amounts of dark hair on body areas where women typically do not have hair – face, chest, and back.
What Causes Unwanted Hair in Female?
Genetic makeup determines the amount of body hair in the body. At the time of puberty, a girl’s ovaries begin to produce hormones. A mix of female and male sex hormones are produced causing hair to grow in the armpits and pubic area. Hirsutism can occur if the mix of hormones becomes unbalanced. Too much of male hormones androgens cause this unwanted hair. There can be other reasons too:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): This most common reason for unwanted hair in women. PCOS symptoms are irregular periods, obesity, infertility and multiple cysts in ovaries. PCOS also leads to hormonal imbalance.
- Cushing’s syndrome. When the body is exposed to high levels of the cortisol hormone. This happens by taking medications like prednisone over a long period, or when adrenal glands produce too much of cortisol.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. This inherited condition is characterized by abnormal production of steroid hormones, including cortisol and androgen, by your adrenal glands.
- Tumors. Rarely, an androgen-secreting tumor in the ovaries or adrenal glands can cause hirsutism.
- Medications. Some medications can cause hirsutism. These include danazol, which is used to treat women with endometriosis; systemic corticosteroids and fluoxetine (Prozac) for depression.
How to remove unwanted hair?
Shaving is one of the easiest ways to remove hair at home. One can use a disposable shaver or an electric shaver. Both have a built-in blade that lifts and cuts hair at the skin’s surface. Though shaving removes hair, the results aren’t permanent or long-lasting. The face remains hair-free for one to three days, and hair grows. Regular shaving is required.
Shaving can work on different parts of the body:
- bikini area
- upper lip
For the best results, wash face and apply a layer of soap or shaving cream. This promotes a smooth surface and reduces the likelihood of cuts. Glide the shaver over your face in the direction of hair growth. While shaving is relatively safe, the ingrown hairs can be a side effect of shaving. These small bumps develop when hair grows back into the skin. Ingrown hairs usually improve on their own within days.
Tweezing is another effective way to remove unwanted hair. In tweezing, a device called tweezers is used. Tweezers are designed to pluck or pull hair from the roots. Tweezing works well on facial hair. Useful in shaping the eyebrows. Typically, the results of tweezing last longer than shaving 3-8 weeks.
How to tweeze? Steps:
- Clean face and dry.
- Isolate the hairs to be plucked.
- Hold skin and pluck one hair at a time in the direction of hair growth.
Tweezing can be painful, hence rub an ice cube over the area to reduce redness and inflammation. Be sure to disinfect your tweezers with alcohol before and after plucking. Tweezing can also cause ingrown hairs.
3. At-home waxing
Waxing is one of the most reliable and effective ways to remove unwanted hair from any part of the body. For waxing at home, you can use wax strip or warm melted wax. For the face, soft wax is used, for legs and bikini area, hard wax is used. Before waxing, do a patch test on hands to check for an allergic reaction. The right temperature is important in waxing.
Steps to wax facial hair:
- Wash, clean and exfoliate the face.
- Apply the wax while holding the skin tight.
- Firmly remove the wax strip in the direction the hair grows.
Waxing can be uncomfortable, but it shouldn’t be painful. Waxing can cause acne and ingrown hairs to develop. It should also be avoided if you’re using retinoids.
4. Depilatory creams
Depilatory creams are another way to remove unwanted hair. The results can last longer than shaving and are cheaper and easier than at-home waxing. These creams have chemicals such as sodium, titanium dioxide, and barium sulfide. These chemicals breakdown protein in the hair and thus hair easily dissolves and washes away. Although these ingredients are generally safe, there is a risk for a reaction. Do a patch test first and apply a small amount of the cream to your skin.
Steps to apply depilatory creams:
- Apply a layer of cream over unwanted hair.
- Allow the cream to sit on your face for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use a damp cloth to gently wipe off the cream and remove unwanted hair.
- Rinse your face with water and pat dry.
Threading is a great option for removing unwanted hairs from the face, especially the upper lip, side of the face, and chin. This method uses a thread, which pulls and twists unwanted hair until it lifts from the hair follicle. The results can last longer than shaving, tweeze, plus this method doesn’t cause ingrown hairs. Threading doesn’t involve any chemicals but needs practice and expertize in using the thread. This method of hair removal requires skill, can not be practiced at home. Trained cosmetologist or esthetician or a beautician is required.
All these hair removal ways last in between 3 days to 4 weeks. Hair growth continues once these methods begin to fade. To understand what is causing the excess hair growth, it is good to visit a good dermatologist and get the best hirsutism treatment in Mumbai from Nubello Aesthetics, one of the top hair clinics in Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.
Visit Nubello Aesthetics and get a free consultation today on unwanted hair removal.